Monday, June 28, 2004

Wrap-Up: Don't make me come over there...

That's it for my List of 10. Link to the elements here:

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Preamble.

I stand by my assertion that if the Conservatives attempt to govern tentatively, or to use Coyne's phrase, "Like they want to run the Liberal machine for themselves," they will go down in flames. There's already a party perfectly qualified to run the Liberal machine, and they're better at it than Harper ever could be.

Further, if they devote themselves entirely to uncovering old Liberal waste and corruption, to the exclusion of all else, it will hurt them in the next election. They need to present a positive legislative agenda, and dare the other parties to oppose it. None of my 10 suggestions will provoke widespread public rebellion; in fact, if intelligently and confidently tabled, average Canadians will look at the loudest protesters and realize, "They're looking after their interests, not mine." Mike Harris got re-elected for a reason.

As such, I offer a personal plea to Stephen Harper:

Today, I am voting for your candidate in my riding. I voted for you as the new CPC leader. I voted for you as the Canadian Alliance leader. I voted CA once and Reform twice before that, including 1993 in Kingston, when I knew my guy was coming in 4th. At age 15, in Social Studies 10 at Sir Winston Churchill High School, we had a mock secret ballot for the 1988 federal election. The Reform Party got 1 vote out of 31 for our Calgary West candidates. That voter was me, and that candidate was you. To put it mildly, I've been a supporter.

I understood and agreed that some of the Alliance/Reform policies had to be ditched or moderated to enable the merger with the PCs. I support the big tent, and not as a way to conceal a hidden agenda or any such blather.

All that said: I expect that if you become Prime Minister, minority be damned, you will lead the government without fear, and you will champion your just and correct principles; reducing our tax burden, slowing the growth of government, and giving us more freedoms than you take away. If you fail to do so, I will never, ever, vote for you or your party again.

Good luck sir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home