Monday, August 16, 2004

Buy low, sell high

The USA Men's Olympic basketball team is taking an absolute thrashing right now in the media - well-deserved after their de facto no-show against Puerto Rico yesterday. But the doomsaying and schadenfreude are way, way over the top.

The U.S. still has the best players in the tournament. They don't have as many outside shooters as they should, but once they sack-up on D, they are going to be very, very tough to beat. If you could say one thing about Lebron, Carmelo, and Dwyane (besides "talented"), it would be that they are fast learners, and despite the hype, have consistently outperformed high expectations.

I can't believe I'm saying this out loud, but players in North American pro sports leagues don't get enough respect. I promise you that Joe Blow who prefers high school sports "because the kids try harder" doesn't have the foggiest clue of how much effort successful American pro athletes put forth, or the level of dedication required to be great at the highest level.

The betting line is presently -175, inching ever closer to even money. If you want to look like a genius next Sunday, drop a bit of money on the USA to win gold. (If they lose another prelim game and the line drops again, drop some more on them).

Don't pile on with the pundits. At best, you'll be one of those "heh heh I knew they'd screw the pooch" types. If you're still not convinced, don't forget this alleged disaster for a favoured Olympic team in an opening game.

2 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer high school and pee wee sports because I can still afford to attend those in person. Either I'm there to experience it in the flesh, or I'm just not interested.

-- Sean (www.polspy.ca)

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Yep, you're right on with that last sentence, Jerry. That's exactly what I was thinking of when I was reading about this in the paper today.

I think this loss will force the Americans to take all their other opponents more seriously, so they'll be more mentally prepared for subsequent games. Plus, by the time they get to the medal round, they'll have had some time to get used to playing as a team.

If I were a betting girl, I'd take the Americans to win the gold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home