Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I want my physician to take care of ME

For the second time in as many days, I read something that gets it so right, it almost ties my gut up in knots.

The Monger, MD, on Canada's Beleaguered Health Care System:
Because the System is designed to serve the collective goals of a mass of humanity, it cannot respond to individual goals appropriately. It is not designed to cater to individual goals, any more than the public transit system is designed to meet my personal commuting goals. But the only goals that matter to a patient--and the only goals that should matter to his physician--are personal goals.

Read it all at Monger, as it's very personal (hypothetically).

1 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Again, I think everyone would agree that our goal is to meet patient need. However,there seems to be an unspoken assumption that money is taken out of the equation. Dr. Monger seems to think that if only the government got out of the way then there would be no problem. Well, maybe if suddenly we could all afford to pay whatever the market asked us to pay for the service. Sadly, that is not the vast majority of us. We would have to turn to the private sector for financing. At that point it would be their goals, not ours that determine the course of our treatment. Insurance companies exist to minimize paying out and maximize their return to their shareholders. This goal is not wrong, but it will affect the course of treatment followed by your doctor. I agree with doctor monger that I want my doctor to treat me. The problem as always is, where is the money coming from?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home