Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Endorsements

The infamous Robert/Rubert is hosting the 2004 Canadian Weblog Awards. As noted previously, I've been nominated for Best Non-Political Weblog. My Slithering Reptile status is assurance that I will finish somewhere in the single-digits, so I won't be shilling for support, but I would like to lend my own support to a few other nominees:
  • ColbyCosh.com as Best Blog. There are a lot of great Canadian blogs, but nevertheless, this is a no-brainer. Frankly, it's also the Best Non-Political Blog, but it's not nominated (scroll through it while ignoring his paid work as a columnist - it's really pretty light on politics).
  • Inkless Wells as Most Humourous Blog, narrowly ahead of Jardine. A wit like Wells ought to be acknowledged.
  • PolSpy as Best Blog Design - again, this is really no contest, they earn it on the strength of PET's middle finger alone.
  • Babbling Brooks as both Best Conservative Blog and Best New Blog. His right-winginess is principled but not reflexive, and as such, he's almost always right. (Almost.)

On the topic of the Almost (i.e. tsunami relief), I noted in the Babbler's comments that I find his stance counter-productive, but I certainly understand where he's coming from. What I find specifically irksome is the requests that don't merely ask for contributions, but presume to tell me (or whoever) what I shouldn't be spending money on, in order to redirect my resources to tsunami relief. Rex Hammock notesInstapundit) that Mark Cuban is suggesting the inauguration be cancelled and the funds redirected to relief. This is simply a road we do not want to travel down. Apart from the absurdity of the logical extension of this type of argument (let's just shut down our economy and send all our money to the Red Cross!), it's called charity, and it's virtuous precisely because it's not coerced.

Of course, if you think our society would be improved if you got the stink-eye from a fundraiser every time you walked into a 7-11 to buy something you didn't exactly need, then feel free to disagree with me.

3 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Thanks for the endorsement, Matt. Not even my wife thinks I'm 'almost always right.' Come to think of it, you should probably get yourself checked out by a trained and licenced psychiatric professional if you truly hold that belief.

Of course, if this is just blogosphere hyperbole, I accept your praise with my typically selfless and humble grace.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Thanks for the nod. I've decided not to lobby for votes on my own blog, so I hope you won't mind if I lobby for votes on yours: VOTE FOR INKLESS WELLS!!!!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Oh, "Paul", yeah, no sweat - well earned.

As for you, Brooks, I never exaggerate. "I compose. I create thoughts. I tell stories that may never have happened. But I would not exaggerate."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home