Saturday, February 05, 2005

once more, with Data

Lethbridge, AB
2001 metro area Population: 67,374
# of liquor/beer stores: 25 (source - Yellow Pages and own two eyes)
Residents per store: 2,695

Kingston, ON
2001 metro area Population: 146,838
# of liquor/beer stores: 7 (4 Beer Stores & 3 LCBO outlets)
Residents per store: 20,977

And speaking of data, if anyone is aware of any that might tend to demonstrate that the information noted above is a bad thing for Albertans, I'd love a pointer.

Finally, I don't want anyone to think I'm completely high on the Alberta Advantage. Our Health Minister, Iris Evans, is in the news what seems like every other day with a new plan that would benefit us all. (Here's a stunner for you: Global last night interviewed a fitness club owner on whether tax breaks for gym memberships is a good idea. He thinks it is!)

I sincerely regret to inform you that the words "make Albertans healthier" escaped Ms. Evans' lips last month, as in, "[it's my job to] make Albertans healthier"*. If we're all on the Road to Serfdom, it looks like we can make it there without another pit stop.

*I saw this on a Global TV news report, but can't find a link. Take my word for whatever you think it's worth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home