Thursday, June 02, 2005

sports, sports, sports, sports

Who's the frontrunner for 2005/06 NBA MVP? This is one of those questions where I think the correct answer is, "Who cares? I just want to watch it play out!"

The smart money is probably Lebron; he came in 6th this year, and has shown no signs that he's ready to stop improving. Tim Duncan is still my favourite player, and if you discount age (i.e. years remaining in career), I don't think you trade him straight up for anyone right now. Dwyane Wade is phenomenal.

But if he wants it, I think the guy to beat has got to be Amare Stoudemire. What a fantastic, fantastic basketball player, and he's only got 3 years in. (The Sports Guy has already anointed him the greatest roller off the pick-and-roll in NBA history). 42 points, 16 rebounds, 4 blocks last night, but it wasn't enough. I've got to get satellite so I can sign up for the Full Court package next season.

And speaking of The Sports Guy, he had an absolutely classic mailbag yesterday, highlighted by this:
Q: Did you injure anything jumping on Danica Patrick's bandwagon this weekend? – Jerry T., Roanoke, Va.

SG: I wrenched my neck a little but that was about it. Actually, my dad and stepmom were in town this weekend, and since my stepmom is a raging feminist, every time they showed the inside of Patrick's car, I muted the volume on the TV and pretended I was Patrick talking to her pit crew: "Look, I told you, I'm going as fast as I can! I can't drive when you're talking to me!!! Stop telling me how to drive!!! I'm going to pull over and get out right now, I swear to God!" That was more fun than the actual race.

(Come on, somebody has to make these jokes.)

The last letter in the bag was golden, too:
Q: Quick Vegas/Celebrity Story – My buddy Ralph and I are playing craps at the Hard Rock last weekend at the table next to Elizabeth Shue. Every time we rolled a pass we were screaming out "Ali, with an I!" After about 20 minutes, she looks over at my friend Ralph and says "Hey ... that joke. It's really not workin for ya." Ralph pauses, looks her right in the eye, and says "I really like your car Mrs. Larusso!"
– JT, Holmdel, N.J.

SG: Yup ... these are my readers.

I'm sure it's possible to wear out Karate Kid references, but if he hasn't by now, it'll probably never happen.

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger sacamano said...

I like Stoudemire, but until he learns to play with his back to the basket he's no MVP. The vast majority of his points come with him going to the basket - either off of a pick and roll, or off of some crazy Nash dribble-rama.

However, given that he developed an outside shot in one year, I don't see any reason why he can't learn to drop-step pump fake. If he ever does, he is going to be more dominant than Shaq.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home