Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Majors

Golf -- different people favour the Masters, the U.S. Open, and the British Open; as the best-slash-truest test of game, and also as the most entertaining. I say fair enough.

But tennis -- I simply cannot understand how anyone, at least in the last 15 years, could argue that any tournament other than the U.S. Open is #1, by any criteria. Wimbledon is a serving contest, the Australian is in January, and the French is played on a weird surface (have you ever done anything on clay?).

The 10 best tennis matches I've ever seen (or parts thereof) have all been part of the U.S. Open. My favorite is the '95 Final between Sampras and Agassi, but the latest addition to the list is tonight's match between Agassi and James Blake.

3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6).

It was one of those sports moments where you're not watching at first; you start clicking to it more and more frequently; and suddenly, you're captivated, and it turns out to be an enduring moment in the sport. It's happened to me maybe a dozen times; after thinking about it for awhile, it may turn out to be another post.

2 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger sacamano said...

No doubt about it. I had it on in the background while working last night; but, by the middle of the 4th set it was simply impossible to watch casually.

There are not too many televised sporting events that raise my heartbeat - this was definitely one of them.

I've also enjoyed watching the transformation of Agassi from the "Image is Everything" rebel who skipped Wimbledon because it was "too conservative", to the gracious, humble, grand-old man of tennis.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Shelley & Wayne said...

I've been watching most of the good matches attentively, but that one definitely had me tense for a good hour.

I just can't believe how brutal it would have been to be a New York native playing as a wild card at Ashe stadium, and the crowd is almost entirely against you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home